Sooner or later we begin to realize the unpleasant truth about time – it is a limited source, and there is no way to get it back. The sooner it hits us, the better. After all, we don’t want to look back at the days spent watching TV, fooling around, working, or napping. Therefore, it is absolutely essential that we learn how to effectively manage our time. ASAP, as they say in the international corporations 😉
Of course, to save time that we can later spend on pleasant activities, we have to manage our duties first. That’s where the problem lies, as it is always easier to get yourself carried away by those actions that offer nothing but entertainment and joy. However, if we neglect the tasks that have to be done, we will never be truly able to enjoy any entertaining activity, because we are simply avoiding responsibility. At the end of the day, the only feeling accompanying us will be the escalating dread, panic, and uneasiness. The proper time management is going to help us deal with the important stuff and save a lot of time to use as we wish without blaming ourselves.
What Skills Do You Need To Manage Time More Effectively?
Remember the very popular Liam Neeson’s speech from Taken? Here’s a fragment – ” I don’t have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills.” Well, you too are going to learn a particular set of skills. What’s even better, is that they help make a lot of money with less effort. Here are those most important:
- Prioritising – This skill is about being able to focus on the most important and urgent tasks, not the easiest ones. Always move towards your main goal!
- Organising – If you have trouble organizing your work, you will waste a lot of time every day to find out where you should start, what to do next, which tools to use, etc. Learn to organize your schedule and place of work and turn it into a habit.
- Avoiding Procrastination – Procrastination is a huge issue; if you avoid performing your duties and instead try to kill time by engaging in meaningless activities, it means you are procrastinating. It’s not easy to get rid of it, but there are some techniques that can work – here’s our post on this topic. You will find there a lot of useful techniques that can help you deal with procrastination.
- Taking Breaks – Regular breaks. Meaning that at least once an hour you should take a short walk or just move around the office a bit. It’s good not only for your body but also for your mind.
- Keeping a to-do list – So you never get lost, even if there is a pile of work to be done. Just remember to regularly update it.
- Creating Positive Habits – Following a productive daily routine is the best you can do to never stay behind with your work.
- Avoiding Distractions – This goes hand in hand with avoiding procrastination. Well, maybe a bit further. It also includes keeping your desk clean, setting points and goals, and not going over your social media during work!
- Delegating – Sometimes you won’t be able to do everything all by yourself. Don’t hesitate to ask your co-workers for help.
+ Use the right task and time management software – There is a lot of great tools on the web that can help you manage your time in a better way. So it happens that we make one of those! Check out TimeCamp, our time tracking software.
Proper time management leads to success. There is no doubt about it. It doesn’t have to be a professional success, as much as a general success in life. After all, the more time you have to spend on what you want to be doing, the happier you are!
Check out our other posts about effective time management.