What is harmonogram and what does it have to do in common with time tracking software for manufacturing? Which software is the best and what should you look for when choosing one? You’ll find it out in this article!
Why Manufacturing Industries Should Use Time Tracking?
Beginnings of the 19th century brought significant changes to the business world, especially to the manufacturing sector. One of the people who largely contributed to the development of work processes was Polish economist and engineer, Karol Adamecki, who invented timetable (harmonogram). As Edward R. Marsh writes in his article for PMI Institute, “his [Adamecki] invention led to increases in output between 100% and 400% in metal rolling mills, in machine shops, in chemical plants, in agriculture, and in mining.”
Today, in the 21st century, Adamecki’s creation is used in almost every company. And in the era of technological development, we all use the modern version of timetables. They are available as time tracking software and come with numerous additional features. Together, they create a unified system of managing work.
Time tracking software for manufacturing is the modernized version of harmonogram and is used in all industries. It helps in 4 significant areas:
- It helps to optimize and automate work by eliminating repetitive and tedious processes
- It’s easier to coordinate teams’ work – proper time and workflow management
- Better resource management and allocation
- It enhances productivity
If you haven’t yet implemented time tracking for manufacturing in your organization, don’t hesitate and do it ASAP!
What Tools Should You Look for?
Choosing the right time tracking software for manufacturing will help create harmony in your organization in all the four abovementioned areas. Not only will your team benefit from it but also the entire organization.
Although there are many tools, not all of them are suited for manufacturing. Choosing the wrong one can bring more losses than benefits. When deciding to use time tracking software for manufacturing, there are 3 components to look for; these elements will help you create a central hub of all activities:
- Easy time tracking with timesheets
- Workforce management – projects, teams, budget, costs, estimates, etc.
- Ability to track the progress of work
We’ve prepared a list of 5 best time tracking software for manufacturing. They have all the features you need to always stay on top of your work.
TimeCamp is a robust time tracking software for manufacturing sector thanks to the powerful features. It’s advanced software which can help you keep a hand on tasks, projects, budget, and deadline. With TimeCamp, you will optimize and automate processes, letting your team focus on work, not on administrative tasks. Your employees can track where they want and how they want thanks to the features that allow flexibility.
- Available for all platforms as a desktop app – Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Native mobile app for iOS and Android devices
- Automatic time tracking
- Extensive reports
- Exporting reports to Google Spreadsheet, as XLSX, PDF or SCV version
- Timesheet approval
- Graphical timesheets integrate with calendar
- Budgeting reports show actual vs. estimated time
- Easy budgeting – budgeting function lets you estimate how much time the implementation of individual projects will take, and thus effectively plan the use of human resources and make a valuation of future similar projects
- Billable and non-billable hours
- Attendance and leave management
- Tracking productivity with productive and unproductive activities
- TimeCamp integrates with various tools and apps for smooth work, for example, task and project management software, accounting software, such as Xero or QuickBooks, and many others – see the full list here
- Solo – one user free forever
- Basic – $5.25 per user per month billed annually ($7/mo billed monthly)
- Pro -$7.50 per user per month billed annually ($10/mo billed monthly)
- Enterprise – available for 100+ users only
2. On-Time Web
No matter what time of manufacturing business you have, On-Time Web can help you streamline work and improve internal practices that are followed in your company. This time tracking software for manufacturing enhances production processes not only by tracking time of employees work but also by giving you an insight into labor and production costs, employees’ availability across different departments, and their current state of work. On-Time Web comes with a wide range of features necessary in the manufacturing industry.
- Dashboard with a variety of useful widgets for employees to interact with
- Employee work schedules – The Schedule vs. Actual report shows the employees’ scheduled time versus the actual time they worked
- Detailed timesheets
- Punch overrides – this feature can prevent employees from clocking in too early and getting paid for it
- Time tracking in the real-time
- Time approvals
- Leave tracking
- Geofences and GPS tracking
- Overtime tracking
- Departments and projects tracking for different type of activity
- Expense tracking
- 14-day free trial
- $35/month up to 24 employees
If your employees often travel, work in various locations and at different time, it may be difficult to keep track of them. Especially, when it comes to paperwork. Timeero can help you smoothen administrative processes, keep track of your team’s time and location, and streamline the workflow. Also, if you need to manage payroll at the same time, Timeero is a good solution since it integrates time tracking with payroll management system.
- Attendance and time tracking with the mobile app (works offline)
- GPS location time tracking
- Real-time workforce monitoring – you always know where your employees work in a given moment
- Timesheets which can be adjusted
- Clock in/out feature
- Employee scheduling
- Payroll reports
- Mileage tracking with reports
- Leave management
- Ability to calculate the costs related to a job or project at any given point in time
- DCAA and DOL compliance
- 14-day free trial
- Monthly – $5/user per month + $10 base fee
Annual or 99+ employees:
- Annual Pricing (10% discount): $55/user
- More than 99 users: Custom price
ClickTime is suitable for every type of business. Whether you have small or large team, the tool will help you maximize profitability and reduce costs as well as better manage your resources. It allows you to control your budget and every aspect related to it, manage attendance and scheduling, and reduce administrative costs.
- Time tracking with Weekly, Daily, and Biweekly Timesheets, custom fields, stopwatch, custom notes
- Timesheet approvals
- Time off and attendance tracking
- Expense tracking
- Billing & cost reporting (Client, Project, Person, Task)
- Billable vs. non-billable hours
- Basic billing rates (Person, Project, Task)
- Budgeting and forecasting with real-time employee availability, actuals vs. estimates, employee costs
- Resource planning with real-time resource planning dashboard, monthly retainer management tools, under/overstaffed projects, monthly capacity planning
- Mobile app
- Integrations with other tools
- Starter – $9 per user per month
- Team – $12 per user per month
- Premier – $24 per user per month
- Enterprise – custom price
- ClickTime Nonprofit with discount
Hubstaff is a simple time tracker with all the basic features. Try it, if you need software for scheduling, staff management, and time tracking. Hubstaff is perfect for small companies who don’t need tools with extensive features. This app will help you keep your team on track, well-organized, and productive. It’s also suitable for monitoring stage of projects.
Location monitoring – tracking through GPS, web-based reports
- Online timesheets
- Team dashboard
- Scheduling with employee attendance tracker and staff scheduler
- Setting up pay rates once for each member of team or project, so payments are automatically sent based on hours worked during that pay period
- Numerous integrations
Free – 1 User
Basic – 1 User – $5/ month
Premium – 1 User – $10/ month
JobViews is a very specific time tracking software for manufacturing. It has very detailed features which can help you optimize processes related to production – workforce, costs, time. Everything works in the real-time to give you accurate insight into the production process. Acumen Data Systems helps to harmonize work across the entire organization.
- Employee time and attendance tracking
- Employee scheduling
- Insight into the availability of resources
- Extensive reports
- Tracking people on a job and tracking jobs
- Gantt charts
Pricing: Not provided by the vendor
Standard Time is not only time tracking software for manufacturing but also shop floor management system. This software will ensure that the flow of information in your company is smooth. This tool has extensive features which in combination with time tracking can give you valuable information. Beside working hours, you can also monitor and manage work orders, expenses, inventory, materials and tools, and everything else that’s involved in manufacturing and processes involved.
- Barcode time tracking
- Daily, weekly, and pay period totals
- Weekly timesheet, timer, and time tracking
- Shows jobs and tasks in timesheet
- Billable and non-billable tasks
- Inactivity monitor automatically stops tasks
- Multi-level timesheet approval and locking
- Manager approvals
- Email notifications and reminders
- Audit trails
- Expense tracking and invoicing
- Billing rates for each client job, user, category
- To-do tasks for users, group, or entire company
- Projects and tasks
- Extensive reports
- Time off tracking
- and many, many more.
- Free 30-day trial
ShopVue is a shop floor data collection system. It’s easy-in-use, intuitive, and functional. It has all the key elements a good time tracker for manufacturing industry should have. So if you’re looking for a simple and convenient solution which at the same time will serve you as the central hub of all activities, ShopVue is the right choice.
- Real-time monitoring of work
- Time and attendance
- Absence and overtime management
- Balancing Labor and Attendance – in conjunction with the Shop Activity/Labor module, the system can compare each employee’s attendance hours to labor hours and detect missing labor time reporting. ShopVue notifies supervisors with an Attendance/Labor Out of Balance message
- Includes more than 70 core reports to provide easy access to important manufacturing data, including manufacturing productivity
- Integrates with ERP systems
- Payroll management
Pricing: Not specified by a vendor