- November 30, 2018
- by Kate Kurzawska
- 5 comments
Tasks are part of our work and private life. But with all the distractions and responsibilities, making sure all tasks are completed properly may be challenging. It’s easy to get confused and lose track. That’s why it’s important to organize all assignments. And using a free task management software or self hosted time tracking app can help you stay on top.
What Are Task Management Tools?
A task management tool is simply a solution that helps to keep track of small, large tasks, and various projects. You can use it both individually and as a system for managing the team’s work.
There are different types of task management tools and the most popular include the following:
- Paper list with tasks in the form of a calendar or a simple, personalized to-do list with due dates
- An app for managing tasks with fully customizable, exhaustive to-do lists with additional features
- Online task manager with basic features and simple to-do lists
- Project management tool with features that let you control and monitor the full lifecycle of a project and single tasks
- Apps for tracking time with features like project management, task manager, and due dates, that enable tracking every task by date and budget – particularly helpful for large organizations or people who track billable hours
- Kanban boards that help to visualize projects structure and organize workflow
You can manage tasks in any way you like, the options are limitless. Additionally, you can mix, experiment as every tool lets you be flexible. Choosing the right task management app will help you become better at time management and efficiently organize your work.
Why Use Free Team Task Tools?
There are plenty of task management tools out there. Some of them are simple to-do lists, others are extensive software with features of a project management tool.
Of course, when you’re choosing a task manager, you should consider such aspects as the industry you work in, the business model of your organization, whether you work as a freelancer, remote worker or in the office, how big your team is, and what features you’ll need to address all your business needs. It’s important to think it through as not every task management solution will be suitable for you.
Nevertheless, using such apps has only benefits. It helps to organize and schedule work, keep you updated on the task or project progress, optimize processes, and automate work. If you haven’t implemented a task management system yet, it’s high time you did!
The Best Tools to Manage Tasks in a Team
Take a look at our list of 5 free task software which can tremendously enhance your work. But that’s not all!
You can integrate all of these tools with TimeCamp, our time and task tracking software with an automatic time tracker, for even better results. TimeCamp is one of the most advanced time management systems on the market. It comes with useful features, especially regarding task tracking and management.
You can track tasks, projects and activities by categories including website and app usage, monitor the due dates and automatically generate accurate timesheets. It can help you stay on track, budget, and always be on time.
HeySpace is an innovative and intuitive task management app with chat. It is somewhat a combination of Slack and Trello but with more advanced features. Not only does it help in managing projects and team workflow but it also improves communication and collaboration in a team as well as with clients.
HeySpace helps to organize all projects and provides transparency. It’s an easy to use task management solution that lets you store all the information about tasks in one place.
- Thanks to its ergonomic design you can see three boards in one place – your team and spaces (different channels), chat, and list of cards with tasks
- You can easily convert part of your conversation into a task
- The board with tasks in a Kanban-style allows you to see all projects at a glance for easy task tracking
- Every task can be adjusted – you can set a due date, assign tasks to particular people, add tags, create a to do list, description, files, comment on it, make it a recurring task
- The feature of workspaces allows you to create many spaces, if, for example, you work for various organizations or have different clients so you can invite them for better collaboration and communication
- You can create personal to-do lists with a due date to follow your work every day and make sure every task is done on time
- A pleasant and intuitive interface makes it enjoyable to use HeySpace
- Task tracking with TimeCamp directly in the app; reports are automatically generated in TimeCamp
HeySpace gives you space to freely and smoothly organize tasks and projects. You can use it as an advanced tasks list app or a simple free task software and make sure every due date is effectively approached. You don’t have to switch between apps and tabs. Everything is in one place!
- Free for up to 10 members
- Premium – $5 per user in Workspace
- 50% discount for non-profits, universities, students, and schools
MeisterTask is an online task and project management platform designed to be as helpful as possible in the project management process. With the tool, you can monitor the progress of your projects or help the team members to collaborate with each other seamlessly.
This tool provides an approachable and productive environment for you and your team. It combines the elements of project management, collaboration, and task management system. You can use it to quickly create projects for team members, and assign tasks effortlessly. This product helps you monitor all the phases of project implementation. MeisterTask has free apps for iPhone, iPad, macOS, and Windows.
- Kanban boards for projects that adapt your workflow
- Project monitoring
- Task management
- Smart automation for efficient work
- Integrations with other project and task management applications such as Google Drive, Slack, Dropbox or GitHub
- In-app simple time tracking
- Task tracking with TimeCamp directly in the app. Reports are automatically generated in TimeCamp to give you insight into tasks and projects, and your team workflow
- Basic – free for up to 3 projects and unlimited project members
- Pro – €8.25 per user, per month
- Business – €20.75 – per user, per month
- Enterprise – custom pricing
Todoist is one of the best to-do list apps and task management tools. You can get all your tasks out of your head, put them in Todoist, and the app will keep them for you. This free software allows you to prioritize your tasks, give them different categories, assign tasks to people, and set due dates. You can also monitor your productivity and measure performance.
With Todoist, you will finally keep the peace of mind and make sure all your tasks are under control. When integrated with TimeCamp, Todoist is a helpful time management solution. You can track every task with TimeCamp directly in Todoist. And reports are automatically generated in TimeCamp. Everything with just one click!
If you choose Todoist Business dedicated to teams, you will access even more powerful, smallish features that will help you organize the work of your team, easily manage tasks and projects and monitor due date.
It’s worth to subscribe to one of the plans if you need a granular team task management software.
Trello is one of the most popular and best task management software. You can use it on your own, with your team or even the entire company. It allows you to organize all tasks and projects in one place in a transparent way. It’s a simple, easy to use tool that lets you work on different tasks and projects in one place without the need to switch tabs.
Trello is a visual board for managing and planning tasks. Even though it has a basic design, it has many useful features. You can create various boards for different teams with as many task lists as you need, adjust cards’ settings, repeat them for recurring tasks, comment on tasks, share files, and use many other fancy options.
Trello has a wide list of power-ups that help to enhance work and collaboration. Make sure to use them to improve your project management, automate tedious work and task management in your team.
And the big TimeCamp and Trello power-up make task management extremely convenient.
- Free with limited functionalities
- Business Class – $12.50 per user per month ($9.99 billed monthly)
- Enterprise – pricing starts from $20.83 per user per month for 20 users; the more users, the lower the price
Asana is a task and project management software that allows you to keep all the data about your team and work in one place. It’s best for teams who need to maintain a steady workflow and make sure deadlines are always met. Although it may not be as easy to use in the beginning, after a short onboarding, you will learn how to make use of the tool.
Your team can easily organize and structure their work and then follow and monitor it. In Asana you can visualize the project to make sure things are going the right way, eliminate risks and negative outcomes. It’s a fantastic task management app for any type of team. It has an advanced to-do list app with many features. You can organize your work in this free task software the way you need and like.
- Boards let you visualize work and see the progress of tasks and projects
- Timeline to track project lifecycle
- File sharing
- Real-time update on projects and tasks
- Managing team workload
- Creating rules for tasks to automate work
- You can customize the project to organize all tasks the way you want
- Forms help manage incoming requests
- Integrate Asana with TimeCamp for accurate and detailed reports on tasks and projects – make Asana a powerful task management software!
- Basic – free
- Premium – €10.99 – per user, per month, billed annually (€13.49 billed monthly)
- Business – €24.99 – per user, per month, billed annually (€30.49 billed monthly)
- Enterprise – custom pricing
How Do You Manage Tasks?
When combined with time tracking, task management is a robust system for work, budget, and team management. And you can adjust the combination to your needs in any way you want.
Are you an avid user of task management software? Do you see any pros or cons of using such apps? What is your favorite task management app? Or maybe you have your own way to track task progress? Let us know your thoughts in the comments, we’d love to hear from you!
✍ Last updated May 2020