- June 21, 2023
- by Kate Borucka
- 18 comments
Employee attendance tracker is helpful in monitoring employee shifts, synchronizing, and planning the workflow. It also helps to allocate resources.
Tracking the attendance of your employees keeps them accountable and productive and boosts the profitability of your business. Let’s dig deeper into the time and attendance matter!
Let TimeCamp keep an eye on employees’ work hours!
Table of Contents
Why Use Employee Attendance Tracker?
An employee attendance tracker is a helpful solution for every business. According to the statistics, automated employee time attendance systems can help companies eliminate daily lost productivity and recapture a total of $666,400 in yearly wages by automating time tracking.
Such a system allows you to save money and time. Here are other key benefits of using an employee attendance tracker:
- Better forecasting and estimates: when you keep track of attendance automatically, you get a lot of important data that can help you make better financial decisions and allocate resources accurately.
- Lower turnover rate and absenteeism: a good employee attendance tracker improves project and team management. As a result, employees want to stay at the company and grow with it.
- Easier employees’ shift scheduling: attendance tracker makes it easy to schedule work automatically, manage attendance, and synchronize workflow for all team members.
- Smooth leave and attendance management: it’s easier to keep track of how many days and hours people work, including days off vacation days, sick leave, absence, holidays, etc.
- Mobile workforce management: tools with employees locations tracking let you know if your remote workers are where they are supposed to be, so you can efficiently manage their work hours,
- Easier payroll processing: attendance tracking software helps to calculate salary fairly, manage payroll, and makes accounting easier, especially if it offers a payroll software integration,
- No buddy punching: you can easily document hours your employees have actually worked.
Tracking employee attendance doesn’t mean you’re spying on them. It’s about helping them work more effectively, boost productivity, and better manage time.
What Is The Best Employee Attendance Tracker?
It may not be easy to find the perfect employee attendance tracker, especially since there are plenty of tools to choose from.
👉 Here’s what it’s worth looking for in the right tool:
- Automatic time tracker with precise time logging so employees don’t have to manually fill spreadsheets but can focus on their work,
- Time clock kiosk to let the employees clock in a clock out in a simple way,
- GPS tracking can be helpful if you hire off-site employees,
- Integrations to connect with your favorite tools,
- Leave and attendance management so you can better plan shifts and distribute the workload, keeping in mind vacation days and sick leaves,
- Timesheet management to easily calculate hours and have all the data about employee work,
- Reports to document important information and monitor team performance for better estimates and business decisions (including payroll reports),
We’ve chosen the top tools that include such solutions as the best attendance tracker, employee attendance tracker template, productivity app with attendance tracker, and more.
1. TimeCamp – automated time and attendance tracking software
TimeCamp is a free employee attendance tracker for unlimited users with an unlimited number of projects, loved by thousands of office and remote teams around the world.
It’s a versatile tool suitable for all businesses. TimeCamp offers a web timer, a convenient Chrome plugin, a desktop app (Linux, macOS, Windows), and a native mobile app for Android and iOS devices. You can use it wherever, and however you and your employees want to.
What’s more, TimeCamp now offers a time clock kiosk, and a time clock app – a separate module that allows clocking in and out with ease and, thus, to monitor attendance. You just need an internet connection – put a simple laptop or tablet in the visible point of your workplace and let your employees punch in/out with their unique 4-digit PIN code. That makes the tool perfectly suitable for companies hiring field workers, from the manufacturing sector, and even for restaurants, hotels, etc.
👉 Besides being a robust attendance tracking software, TimeCamp offers also:
- Versatile, automatic time tracking,
- Accurate timesheets with convenient calendar view,
- Timesheet approvals,
- Time and project reporting with summaries, detailed views, and custom reports,
- Billing for tracking project budget and margin,
- Labor costs,
- Team management,
- Easy invoicing based on billing rates and tracked time,
- Project tracking with unlimited projects and tasks,
- Free plan for unlimited users,
- GPS tracking with location reports,
- Direct integration with 30+ tools for project and task management, accounting, sales, marketing or dev like Jira, Asana, Trello, Monday, Clickup, Zendesk, Azure DevOps, and many more,
- Browser extension that extends the list of integrations to 70+,
- and many more!
👉 Check also our list of Top 15 Employee GPS Tracking Apps for 2022
Use time tracking data and gain insights about not just attendance, but also about how your projects are performing to ensure the highest level of profitability.
Available for: Web, Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Browser extension for Chrome and Edge
Pricing: The free plan is available for unlimited users with unlimited projects. The Starter plan is $3,99 per user/month billed monthly ($2,99 per user/month billed annually), Basic plan is $7.99 per user/month billed monthly ($5.99 per user/month billed annually), Pro – $10.99 per user/month billed monthly ($7.99 per user/month billed annually), and Enterprise, on-premise, offer custom pricing.
2. Timenotes – timesheet app with attendance data tracking
Timenotes is a timesheet app that lets you track employee attendance in a more traditional format with online sheets. The tool allows you to report working time for multiple employees and projects.
👉 Check also the best reporting tools!
It has a simple start/stop timer, allows for tracking billable hours, monitoring budget, and storing all important data about projects, clients, and team members in the cloud.
Additionally, Timenotes lets you track employee attendance and monitor who is absent with a transparent virtual attendance sheet. You can easily filter through users, absence types, and statuses for more clarity.
It’s a suitable attendance tracker for every company that wants to eliminate paper timesheets and tedious paperwork.
👉 Other Timenotes’ features:
- time tracking (manual entries and timer),
- project time tracking and reports,
- employee time management: requesting time off and absence allowance management,
- project budgeting
Unfortunately, the Timenotes integrations list is quite short, so if you’re looking for a time clock for tools like Monday or Clickup, give TimeCamp a try.
Available for: web, iOS, Android, Chrome extension
💰 Pricing: A free plan isn’t available, but you can subscribe for a free 30-day trial. Fees are flat and depend on how big your team is. A discount for choosing annual billing is included.
2. Imonit – simple employee attendance tracking software
If you’re looking for a basic employee time and attendance app without other, more comprehensive functionalities, Imonit can be a tool that’s worth giving a try. That time clock allows the employees to clock in and out manually or using location tracking or proximity beacons.
By implementing tools like Imonit in your company, you not only avoid the cases of buddy punch that affect employee productivity efficiency negatively, but you also receive real-time stats about employee time and absence. Having access to their time logs helps you regain control over productivity and become better prepared for a pay period.
👉 More of Imonit features:
- Employee time tracking app,
- Timer for work tasks,
- Attendance reports and calculating work hours for payroll processing,
- Basic project management,
- Timesheets with mobile app and reports.
Available for: web, iOS, Android
💰 Pricing: There’s only one paid plan that costs $1 per user per month; a free 30-day trial available.
3. Bonsai – time and attendance app for freelance payroll management
Bonsai is a suite of tools for freelancers who want to automate and streamline workflow for their business. It can help you improve productivity and monitor the progress of projects.
If you need a personal attendance tracker, Bonsai will keep track of work days. The tool lets you track time on projects, report time in project timesheets, and invoice hours so you can bill clients.
👉 Other features include:
- contracts with templates;
- managing clients, projects, files, documents, and payments in one place;
- forms and questionnaires to customize so you can successfully collaborate with clients.
The software can also be used in a team to track employee attendance, or you can invite employees and other people to collaborate.
Available for: web, MacOS, iOS, Android, Chrome extension
💰 Pricing: The tool offers three pricing plans with flat fees that vary with the range of features included: Starter costs $24 per month, Professional costs $39 per month, and Business – $79 per month.
4. Desktime – time tracking app with employees attendance management
DeskTime employee attendance tracker is rich in features that will make it easy to track employee time and attendance data, plan their work, and organize projects. It also offers basic employee scheduling features for shift organization.
Additionally, DeskTime has an absence calendar to keep track of vacation hours, sick leave, and other free days. You can also create an employee absence schedule to calculate payroll quickly and better allocate work.
👉 More Desktime features:
- Pomodoro timer,
- URL and app tracking,
- Offline time approval,
Available for: Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, browser extension
💰 Pricing: Desktime offers three pricing tiers that range from $7 to $20 per user per month; the most expensive one includes unlimited projects and data history. If you’re a single user with basic needs, you can also choose Desktime Lite with limited features. (Xanax) Free trial available.
5. Calamari – time clock software with attendance features
Calamari is an employee attendance tracker comprising two modules – clock in/clock out and attendance management.
Calamari attendance tracking software is also available as Calamari KIOSK, Calamari QR terminal which make it easy to track absenteeism and automatically document employee time.
👉 The software features allow you to gather important data on a mobile device:
- Checking the timesheets and presence list in real-time,
- Tracking attendance with the GPS location,
- Marking breaks,
- Tracking time against projects,
- Automatic clocking in/out with the iBeacon technology,
- Kiosk with QR codes, NFC badges, and PIN codes,
- Dashboard with information about upcoming absences or birthdays of your colleagues,
- Multi-office configuration
This absence app will be most useful for those who work in HR and have to manage attendance, sick leaves, vacation, and administer related days, including training time, and more. Calamari employee attendance tracker saves a lot of paperwork.
Available for: web, iOS, Android
💰 Pricing: Clock in/out plan costs $2 per user per month when billed annually. No free plan is available; however, you can give the tool a try for free for 14 days.
6. factoTime – employee hours tracking app for mobile devices
factoTime is a free employee attendance tracker for mobile devices. It runs on both Android and iOS platforms. It has all the features you need to track work hours of employees, attendance, and shifts.
The tool works as a punch clock and gathers all data on employees’ attendance, location, and time spent on work. Every visit outside the company is digitally verified with the use of GPS technology. With the three-factor authentication security of Punch + Selfie + Location, you can accurately record employee time.
You can define employee wages and calculate salary or process payroll based on attendance captured in factoTime. You can define the hourly, daily, or monthly wages of any employee.
factoTime free attendance app also lets you store employee records such as name, phone number, email, DOJ (date of joining), DOP (date of payment), department, and designation.
You can configure rules for employees as a group or special cases and get a report for any violation made.
👉 Besides attendance app features, factoTime offers also:
- Time clock features, like punching with location,
- Monthly payroll management with basics that help calculate salary,
- Employee punch device restriction to avoid buddy punching,
- Half day status
Available for: web, iOS, Android
💰 Pricing: Three pricing tiers are available (free one included), but detailed pricing isn’t provided, contact their sales to discuss the details.
7. Harpoon – financial planning with time tracking
If you’re looking for a tool to administer the budget and track employee attendance in relation to your company finances, Harpoon will be the right solution. However, the tool is more financial planning-oriented instead of offering wide time and attendance tracking features, but the attendance data it collects should be enough for basic employees hours recording.
You can then plan workflow, allocate resources, and control changes, so things are well-balanced and your business is healthy. Also, you can set unique internal cost rates and track your team members’ weekly hours capacity.
👉 Other Harpoon features:
- one-click time tracking,
- value, cost, and yield tracking,
- hours budgeting,
- employee time activity summaries,
- multiple timers management.
Available for: web, Mac
💰 Pricing: no free plan is available; paid plans start at $9 per month, including one user with three clients. The prices get higher the bigger your team is. Try it for free for 14 days.
8. honeybeeBase – online attendance tracker
honeybeeBase is an online employee attendance tracker suitable for businesses of any size. You can use it to manage tasks, schedule employee shifts, and manage attendance and absences. It offers an online time clock to help avoid buddy punching.
honeybeeBase has three modules that give your company a unified hub to administer business processes. The attendance module records employee absences and late arrivals and lets you create custom reports. The vacation module allows you to oversee leave balances, request time off, and other types of days. The news module lets all employees communicate, and supervisors post important notes for the team.
With honeybeeBase, you can track employee hours remotely with the mobile app and easily monitor employee attendance without paper templates and a spreadsheet.
👉 Other honeybeeBase features include:
- GPS tracking system to know employee locations,
- Shift scheduling,
- Basic project management (or rather task management),
- Time clock with punch tracking,
Available for: web, iOS, Android
💰 Pricing: honeybeeBase is available at a flat rate, $6 per user per month, with no pricing tiers. Give it a try for free for 14 days.
9. Buddy Punch – online punch clock and attendance app
Another employee attendance tracking app is Buddy Punch – a time clock that helps track attendance and process payroll. With the tool, you can save time on managing absences, paid and unpaid time off, and the overall number of hours your team is working day by day.
With Buddy Punch, you can keep an eye on team productivity and overtime. Set up automatic email notifications that inform employees that they’re nearing exceeding their maximum time for the day to help them adjust their schedule. With Buddy Punch, you can also track employee time and attendance based on their locations – the tool offers GPS tracking and webcam images.
👉 The tool helps track attendance patterns, but it also offers:
- Punch clock,
- Time tracking and time off tracking,
- Employee scheduling (templates and notifications),
- Break planning,
- Payroll software integrations
Available for: web, iOS, Android
💰Pricing: Standard and Pro plans cost respectively $2.99 and $3.99 per user per month when billed annually. Contact their sales to discuss the enterprise pricing.
10. OfficeTimer – attendance management software with the live tracker
Location tracking makes an attendance app more versatile, and that’s how OfficeTimer works, offering free GPS time tracking software. The tool provides useful information to track employees’ attendance much easier – it shows on the live dashboard who’s currently available for work, making employee scheduling much easier.
OfficeTimer attendance app is based on IP address tracking and geofencing. It sends reminders and notifications when needed. What’s more, it also helps you track employee time off and plan and manage their vacation leaves and breaks during work hours.
👉 Besides being an attendance app, OfficeTimer offers also:
- Basic timesheets and time tracking features,
- Billable and non-billable hours,
- Project costs,
- Project revenues,
- Expense tracking
Available for: web, iOS, Android
💰 Pricing: Basic abilities are free, but the premium plan with all the features costs $3.48 per user per month.
11. Employee attendance tracker template
The employee attendance tracker template will be the right choice if you prefer a traditional attendance sheet over an automatic tracker. If you have a small business and need a simple solution to record the daily hours of your team, templates may be enough for you.
The attendance sheet has a simple table format where employees can mark work hours, a task they work on, vacation leave, sick leave, time off, and other information so supervisors can easily view the team’s availability.
Here are the best templates to download to your computer:
Employee attendance tracker template for Excel from Microsoft Templates – a simple attendance tracking table for four quarters with basic information such as name, vacation, personal time, and sick leave.
If you’re looking for a printable free employee attendance tracker template, check ExcelSHE 45+ templates for Excel and Google sheets.
Smartsheet offers simple employee attendance tracker templates for different purposes – attendance templates for a meeting, training, timesheets, employee vacation, and more.
What Is Your Favorite Time Attendance App?
Employee attendance tracking app allows your staff to track time automatically and replace paper spreadsheets, monitor overtime, and clock in/out with a single click. And combined with other software features, it can serve as your centralized system of work and resource allocation with the company’s data on performance.
What is your favorite employee attendance system? Or maybe you prefer an employee attendance template? Let us know in the comments!
Co-author: Ola Rybacka, Content Specialist at TimeCamp