- March 31, 2019
- by Kate Borucka
- No comments
Table of Contents
Why Managers Should Use Software?
It might seem that manager’s job is to manage a team and make sure the project meets the deadline. But it’s just “an outside layer” under which there are many more components. Managers have to plan, schedule, allocate resources, monitor budget, control internal and external processes, monitor communication and collaboration, and many more. And it’s all about data.
W. Edwards Deming said, “In God we trust. All others must bring data.” And as much as you trust your team with their work, it’s simply impossible to monitor the progress of that work if you don’t know what to work. And that’s what software for managers is for.
Software for managers has one purpose – enhance your and your team’s work. It collects the data in one place and helps you monitor every phase of the project. You can analyze that data to improve and adjust the plan, avoid complications and optimize work.
Managing projects and a team is not an easy task. And in the era of digitization with all the information stored in digital formats, if you don’t implement software to manage work, you might lag behind your competition.
If you don’t know which app you should use, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a list of the best software for managers. Look at what they offer and watch video tutorials to see their functionality.
HeySpace is an innovative and intuitive task management software with chat. It is a combination of Slack and Trello but with more advanced features. It not only helps in managing projects and team but also improves communication and processes taking place in an organization. Here are the most important features:
- Thanks to its design you can see three boards in one place – your team and spaces (different channels), chat, list of cards with tasks
- You can easily convert part of your conversation into a task
- The board with tasks allows you to see all projects in one place
- Every task can be adjusted – you can set date, assign people to it, add tags, description, files, comment on it. All to keep you updated on task progress
- The feature of workspaces allows you to create many spaces, if, for example, you work for various organizations or have different clients
- Pleasant and intuitive interface
Free for small teams getting started
Premium for midsize teams and companies – $5 /user/month
⇓ Watch the video and see how HeySpace works ⇓
TimeCamp is a tool for monitoring your and your employee’s work. Including people who work remotely. Thanks to its functionality and ease of use, the software allows for working time optimization and boosting employees’ efficiency. It also enhances resource management and their allocation. When you decide to implement TimeCamp in your company, you gain many benefits:
- The desktop app for all platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux), extensions and mobile app for iOS and Android. All that to help users track their activity no matter where they are
- Automatic time tracking which allows you to easily switch between tasks
- The possibility to set a limit for each task so that you can effectively monitor your team’s work
- Accurate customer billing thanks to the ability to monitor projects budget
- Entering time to invoices based on estimated hourly rates
- Integrations with various tools which help in managing projects and accounting such as Asana, Podio, Trello, Basecamp 3, Xero, QuickBooks, and many, many more
- Free – $0 for unlimited users
- Basic – $6.30 per user per month billed annually ($7/mo billed monthly)
- Pro -$9 per user per month billed annually ($10/mo billed monthly)
- Enterprise – available for 100+ users only
⇓ Watch the video to see how TimeCamp works ⇓
Asana is a task and project management software which allows you to keep all the data in one place. It’s best for teams who need to keep a steady workflow and make sure deadlines are always met. It’s a suitable software for managers who need to supervise teams using just one app. Main features include:
- Organizing and structuring work and then following and monitoring it.
- In Asana, you can visualize the project on the timeline
- Workspaces with projects, and projects with tasks.
- In each task, users can add notes, comments, attachments, and tags. The creator of the project/task can attach members to it, and give them permission to freely manage them.
- Monitoring the status of the project in the real-time
- Marking projects as finished
- You can turn common processes into templates.
- Premium – for teams that need to create project plans with confidence. $9.99 Per user, per month billed annually ($11.99 billed monthly)
- Business – for teams and companies that need to manage work across initiatives. $19.99 Per user, per month billed annually ($23.99 billed monthly)
- Enterprise – for organizations that need additional security, control, and support.
Watch video tutorial
Trello is one of the most popular and best free task software for everybody. You can use it on your own or with your team or even the entire company. It allows you to organize all tasks and projects in one place in a transparent way. Main features include:
- Creating different boards for different teams
- Adjust cards settings and repeat them for recurring tasks
- You can add comments, upload file attachments, create checklists, add labels and due dates, and more
- You can invite as many people to your board as you need
- Trello has a wide list of power-ups which help to enhance work and collaboration
- Notifications inside the app, via email, desktop notifications via the browser, or via mobile push notifications
- Search, filtering and labels for easy navigation
- Free for unlimited projects and users
- Business Class – Price Per User / Month $999 (annually)
Watch video tutorial
Todoist is a to-do list app and task manager. It’s a suitable software for project managers who need to manage projects involving numerous tasks. You can get all your tasks out of your head, put them in Todoist, and the app will keep them for you:
- This task software allows you to prioritize your tasks, give them different categories, assign people to them, and set due dates.
- You can monitor your productivity and measure performance.
- Sub-tasks & sub-projects
- Location-based notifications
- Set daily and weekly goals, and visualize your productivity trends
- There are also numerous integrations available
Premium – €3 per month billed annually
- Business for teams – €5 per user per month billed annually
Watch video tutorial
Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)
VSTS is a cloud service for collaborating on code development created by Microsoft. If you have a large team working on a large project, it’s one of the best software for managers. It’s especially useful in planning. The main features include:
- Plan, track, and discuss work across your teams
- Create, host, and share packages with your team
- CI/CD that works with any language, platform, and cloud
- Numerous extensions
Watch video tutorial
There are many various software for managers. It might be tempting to choose those with most advanced features and fancy additions. But you should remember that not every tool will be suitable for your business, team or project. Pick up those that you will actually be able properly implement in your organizational structures and that will be helpful in everyone’s work.
If you’re still not sure which you should chose, try the above suggestions of the best software for project managers. Experiment with tools, integrate them with other apps to see whether the software meets your expectations.