- May 4, 2018
- by Kate Kurzawska
- No comments
A good project time tracking app can help you become a better project manager, improve your productivity, but also increase profit margin. All you have to do is choose the right software.
Let’s check the best tools for project time tracking!
What Is Project Time Tracking?
We are all very much surrounded by projects. Either when working as a freelancer, remote worker, or in a larger organization. That concerns project managers in particular. They have to keep a hand on all processes relating to project delivery. Since managing projects requires lots of energy and the ability to pay attention to details, great time management skills, tracking different aspects of a project may be challenging.
One of the ways to tackle this challenge is to use project time tracker app. It will save much of your time and enhance the process of project management.
But what exactly is project time tracking? It is the practice of tracking time of a project to make sure it meets the deadline. But it is more than just that. Such time tracking allows allocating resources appropriately, monitoring all processes in real-time, and implementing the project on time avoiding the dangerous scope creep.
What Is the Best Time Tracking App?
There are many tools that can be of great help in project management. Even though they share similarities, not all of them function in the same way. The software existing on the market varies in features, purposes, and aims at different niches. That’s why it’s important to choose the most suitable tool for project time tracking.
For this reason, today we present 10 best project time tracking tools. Whether you are a freelancer, project manager or need a simple time tracker, we hope you’ll find the best time tracking app for you and your team.
1. TimeCamp – robust time tracking
2. Hubstaff – time tracker for remote teams
3. Tick – easy time tracking in 3 steps
4. Harvest – easy but detailed time tracking software
5. todo.vu – CRM time tracking
6. Toggl – simple time tracking app
7. Wrike – for project management
8. Paymo – time tracking & accounting tool
9. Jira – for developers
10. Smartsheet – for those who like spreadsheets
10+1=11 HeySpace – for team communication & collaboration
Project time tracking with TimeCamp tremendously enhances various processes in the company. The app is free for unlimited users, so you can collaborate with your team seamlessly. It’s suitable for agencies, small and large businesses, and for freelancers.
This time tracking app helps to automate and optimize tasks, and administrative activities.
- You can easily track the progress of work and detect possible delays
- The tool collects valuable information on tasks and projects, team
- With extensive reports, you can assess if a project is profitable for your business
- Plan the work of your team so they can participate in different assignments without harm for other duties
- TimeCamp helps you to estimate how much time you and your team will need to spend on a project
- Timesheets with approvals
- You can bill your clients accurately with the feature of billable and non-billable hours, create and send invoices with just one click
- Integrations with the most popular apps for project management, CRM, productivity, and more
- Available as a desktop, web, and mobile apps
- GPS tracking – new feature coming soon!
- Free – free for unlimited users
- Basic – $5.25 per user (billed annually)
- Pro – $7.50 per user (billed annually)
- Enterprise – custom pricing
Sign up for TimeCamp to get a 100% free project time tracking tool!
Hubstaff is another popular time tracking app offering the feature of project time tracking. The software gathers information on your team’s work in the form of activity reports. You can adjust them and pay your employees based on work hours tracked by the app. With the flexible calendar view, you can see different time entries – daily, weekly or monthly. That’s a great way to analyze your team’s performance and work progress, a feature helpful in managing projects on a daily basis.
- Staff scheduling to assign your team members to a particular project
- Creating invoices based on time tracked with Hubstaff or for fixed payments
- You can set weekly limits on how many hours you want your employees spent working on to have the budget under control
- Setting a budget for a project helps you monitor money spent on it and gets alerts whenever the budget exceeds estimates
- Free – 1 User
- Basic – 1 User – $5.83/user/month (paid annually)
- Premium – 1 User – $8.33/user/month (paid annually)
- Enterprise – $16.67/user/month
Tick is a simple tool. If you are looking for an easy project time tracker app, this software may be perfect for you. It works in three steps. Tick is suitable for any organization as well as for freelancers. It works great for those who want to track their projects based on budget.
The first one is simply entering your project into the timecard with all the details you need – a task, client’s name, notes, anything that will enhance your project. You can add multiple entries from any place at any time.
The second step is monitoring the budget. You can quickly check the project’s status, get immediate feedback to stay on track, assign staff to particular tasks and even set recurring projects.
The last, third step is digging into your reports. That’s a great feature because it gives you a detailed insight into specific time spent on projects. Moreover, you can export reports to Quickbooks, Freshbooks, or as a CSV file.
- 1 project – free
- 10 projects – $19 per month
- 30 projects – $49 per month
- 60 projects – $79 per month
- Unlimited projects – $149 per month
Harvest is best for those who need to know where all the time spent on the project goes. It will answer all your questions concerning resources in project management. Harvest is a simple time tracking app but offers many helpful features:
- Tracking time in this tool tracks not only time but expenses, clients, projects, and tasks.
- The timesheets in the visual form help you understand your team’s work and see how much time they spend on different tasks. You see how much, when, and on what projects people are working
- With extensive reports, you get information on every single aspect of your project: time spent, budget, progress, time left to a deadline, etc.
- Harvest allows you to integrate with Xero or QuickBooks to create invoices and quickly send them to your clients.
- Free for 1 person, 2 projects
- Pro – unlimited people and projects, $12 per month
This software combines time tracking and project management features. Similarly to TimeCamp, todo.vu tracks time of all your activities. It focuses mainly on projects’ details such as keeping track of your customers and information about them, setting billing rates on projects and staff, e-mailing tasks directly to your clients, breaking larger tasks into a small checklist, files storage, categorizing work by custom labels.
If you are looking for a project time tracking tool which will allow you to control all aspect of the CRM relating to projects, todo.vu is the right tool.
- Solo free – free
- Team Premium – $5 user per month
- Business Time – $9 user per month
If you love simple solutions, Toggl is the right tool for you. This time tracker gets many praises for being the best time tracking software, and indeed, it is. Nevertheless, its features are quite limited. Toggl works as most of the time tracking apps. The desktop app tracks your activities and then creates reports. You have all the information about your work after you log into your account. You see the data concerning time spent on work, the progress in particular tasks or projects, and see the general overview of how your business is doing. It can be perfect for you if you need a simple and free project time tracker.
Toggl is fantastic in its simplicity. However, if you are looking for more extensive features, Toggl may not meet your expectations. Especially if you are interested in detailed project time tracking.
- Enterprise – custom pricing
- Premium – $18 per user/month (billed annually)
- Starter – $9 per user/month (billed annually)
Wrike is a project management software with the feature of online time tracking. Together, these two options create a functional project time tracking tool.
Wrike is a fantastic app for project managers who work with many clients and have to monitor the team’s progress on a daily basis.
- You can create projects and divide them into smaller tasks to develop blocks of work with due dates, assigned people, and any other adjustments that are most suitable for you
- Wrike has a feature of managing resources so that you can balance resources and track performance of employees
- You can track time and budget assigned to a project
- The tool has a friendly and intuitive interface
- Free for 5 users
- Professional – 5, 10, 15 users, $9.80 per user/month
- Business for 5-200 users – $24.80 per user/month
- Enterprise for 5 to unlimited number of users – custom pricing
- Wrike also offers team packages for marketers and professional services
Paymo is an online time tracker, project management, and invoicing application for agencies and businesses of small and medium sizes. With its help, you can keep track of the entire lifetime of a project without using any other apps. It is reasonably cheap software with a lot of assets.
It facilitates team collaboration and communication, provides time tracking and timesheet reporting. The tools Paymo offers should be handy in identifying bottlenecks, monitoring and analyzing the time spent on projects and tasks, and generally, boosting the team’s productivity. It is available as a desktop and mobile app.
- Small Office – $9.56 / user per month (billed annually)
- Business – $15.16 / user per month (billed annually)
One of the niches of project time tracking is software developers. Jira is a tool aimed at that group of specialists. It may not exactly be a time tracking software, but it works exceptionally well as a tool for monitoring processes of project implementation or development including time, resources management, project’s stages, or reports.
One of the best features of Jira is the ability to create a roadmap that’s connected to your work. You can track progress across teams and projects and easily share your plan with stakeholders. With such a roadmap you see if the project is on time, share reports with the entire team, and connect with everyone to present the progress.
Pricing: plans start from $10 and depend on the number of users
Smartsheet is a tracking app that enhances work in or between teams. The software tracks time you spend on tasks and projects in real-time to deliver accurate and extensive reports. It has many features characteristic for time tracking and time management software, for example, easy-to-use dashboard, Gantt view, file attachment, activity and time log, formulas or customization.
This tool is “ideal for waterfall and agile projects, product launches, or sprint planning.” It automizes and enhances processes in the company, and easily track time.
- Smartsheet offers free trial
- Individual – $14 per month
- Business – $25 per user/month
- Enterprise – custom pricing
Having the right time tracking app that your entire team can freely use is important. And to get the most out of your work, you also need a communication and collaboration app.
Here’s the extra tracking app that can help you stay on track with all tasks – HeySpace.
HeySpace is a free task and simple project management software with communication and collaboration features. It can help you increase engagement, satisfaction, and transparency by coordinating and organizing projects with your clients, vendors, and employees. It helps create a coherent and unified channel for efficient time management in your business.
And the best part is that HeySpace combines elements of Slack and Trello so you can use one tool instead of two.
- Chating privately, inside a task or in a project
- Work visualization with Kanban-like board
- Adjustable tasks – add assignee, starting and due date, checklist, files, tags, estimates, progress
- Calendar view for transparency
- File attaching; you can attach GIFs, quotes or code samples
- You can quickly convert a message into task
- Integrates with TimeCamp to track time you spend on different tasks
- Extra add-ons
- More features coming soon!
- Free for small teams
- Premium – $5 per month/user in Workspace
HeySpace – if Slack and Trello had a baby
Project time tracking may not be an easy process. The tools mentioned above are there to help you, but you have to remember that they are all different. Once you know the needs and requirements of your organization and employees, choosing the right tool should be easy. Every software works differently and was created with a different purpose in the mind of the designers. Make a list of your specifications and start acting with the proper time tracking app!
If you are not sure you found the right time tracker, try TimeCamp for free to turn the intricacies hidden behind project management into simplicity!