Are You Tracking Time on Mac?
There is no surprise that Apple is one of the Big Four, the giants of technological world. Its products and software are used by customers all over the globe. And it seems that popularity of the brand keeps growing. They offer high-quality, unique products which people love. One of these wonders is the Macintosh, commonly known as Mac.
And the good news for time management lovers is – there are numerous time tracking software available for Mac.
In fact, it doesn’t matter if you’re tracking your time on Mac, Linux or Windows. Today, most, if not all apps are available for all operating systems. Nevertheless, Mac has its dedicated fans who create apps only for this particular system.
And if you yourself are the owner of Mac and haven’t started tracking your time, it’s high time you did it! It will help you become more productive, turn your bad habits into good ones, and make you an organized person. Time tracking software provides detailed data on your activity, budget, time spent on work, and processes that happen during your work.
And so, today we prepared a list of 10 time tracking software for Mac to help you choose from the variety of tools. Make sure to select the app which meets your business model and needs!
TimeCamp is a tool for monitoring your and your employee’s work. Including people who work remotely. Thanks to its functionality and ease of use, the software allows for working time optimization and boosting employees’ efficiency. It also enhances resource management and their allocation. With TimeCamp you not only track time but also productivity, progress of projects and overall processes in your organization.
- The desktop app for Mac, extensions and mobile app for iOS. All that to help users track their activity no matter where they are
- Automatic time tracking which allows you to easily switch between tasks
- The possibility to set a limit for each task so that you can effectively monitor your team’s work
- Accurate customer billing thanks to the ability to monitor projects budget
- Entering time to invoices based on estimated hourly rates
- Graphical timesheets integrate with calendar.
- Budgeting reports show actual vs. estimated time.
- Export reports to Google Spreadsheets, CSV, XLSX, PDF
- Integrations with various tools
- Solo – one user free forever
- Basic – $5.25 per user per month billed annually ($7/mo billed monthly)
- Pro -$7.50 per user per month billed annually ($10/mo billed monthly)
- Enterprise – available for 100+ users only
Timing is an automatic time tracking software for Mac. This app is perfect for people who love everything that’s automatic. Timing tracks your activities while you work – all files, apps, websites, etc., and categorizes them into productive and unproductive. This software helps you become more systematic and efficient by always working in the background.
- Timing combines automatic and manual time tracking, for both easier and more accurate tracking
- Automatic time tracking with extremely high accuracy – Timing tracks apps, document paths, website URLs, titles of read emails, conversation partners in Messages, and more
- An interactive timeline that shows you exactly when you did what
- Automatic suggestions for blocks of time that belong together. This lets you assign hours of time at once, combining the accuracy of manual time tracking with the convenience of automatic tracking
- The option to create sophisticated rules to further automate categorization of activities
- Timing can automatically ask you what you did whenever you return to your Mac
Features vary across different plans:
- Productivity – $39
- Professional – $69
- Expert – $99
Clockify is not only time tracking software but also attendance tracker and time management app. It’s best for managing payroll and workforce. The tool is best for teams, regardless of their size. Clockify offers extensive features which help to organize work, projects, and team.
- Time tracking with timer, manual mode to add missing time
- Project tracking
- Tags for categorization
- Adjustable timesheets
- Reports – summary report, weekly report, and detailed report
- Setting hourly rates for easier payroll calculation
- Exporting reports to PDF, CSV, and Excel
- Team management and workspaces
- Free to use
- The company also offers self-hosted (starts at $450 per month) and development services to big teams and enterprises
This time tracking software for Mac is suitable for organizations and individuals. If you’re the type of a person who likes to set goals and keep a steady hand on work, try RescueTime. It’s a great app for busy people who like challenges but also enjoy writing down their achievements to maintain control over all tasks.
- Detailed reports
- Weekly e-mail summary
- Setting goals for the day
- Activities are automatically grouped into pre-defined categories with built-in productivity scores covering thousands of websites and applications. You can customize categories and productivity scores to meet your needs
- Blocking distracting sites
- Tracking offline activity
- Notifications and alerts
- RescueTime Lite – free
- RescueTime Premium – Monthly: $9 per month, Annual: $72 per year
This time tracking software for Mac is available only for this operational system. You can use it to track time personally and for work. This time tracker allows you to track time of one or several projects or tasks. It’s a simple time tracking app most suitable for individuals and freelancers who need a tool that will help them organize their work and who don’t have to manage teams.
You can also try Caato Time Tracker+ which synchronizes across all Apple devices.
- Start and pause button
- Tracks projects, tasks and detailed time entries including seconds
- Setting for automatically converting hours to days
- Tracks multiple projects at once (Pro Version)
- Allows editing of entries in the past and adding entries in the future
- Context-sensitive totals in the status bar
- Date range filter with presets and individual date range picker
- Shows today’s working hours or the number of currently tracked projects in dock icon
- Clean user interface with complete date labels
- Easy Excel (Pro Version) and CSV export with formatting options and email feature (OS X 10.9 and higher)
- Pro – in-app purchase
Harvest is one of the most popular time tracking software for Mac. It’s very helpful in planning projects, keeping track of expenses and making sure deadlines are always met, even if they’re tight.
- Time and expense tracking
- Powerful reporting
- Unlimited invoices and estimates
- Project budget alerts
- Timesheet approval
- Integrations with 100+ apps
- Apps for iOS (and Mac)
- Free for 1 person
- Solo for 1 Person, Unlimited Projects, $12 per month ($10.80 per month, billed annually)
- Team for 2+ People, Unlimited Projects, $12/person per month
Toggl is a time tracking program that is especially useful for freelancers or small business owners. The app can be used to record how much time is spent on each project and helps you to plan tasks ahead of time. It’s a simple and intuitive solution. Toggl is praised by many users for its ease of use, functionality, and design.
- Simple time tracking with start/stop buttons
- Works on all devices
- Automatic time tracking
- Project dashboard with the summary of your activity
- Starter – $9
- Premium – $18
- Enterprise – custom pricing
Be Focused is another time tracking software designated solely for Mac. Based on the Pomodoro technique it enables its users to work in intervals which are separated by short breaks. It’s an easy-to-use app which will help you stay focused and productive.
- Task management
- Fast and easy goal tracking
- Tracking progress (day, week or custom period)
- Customize to maximize productivity – work interval duration, long break duration, short break duration, target number of work intervals per day, number of intervals between long breaks
- Ability to paste a task list from other applications
- Ability to start, pause, or skip work intervals
- Ability to edit the number of work intervals
- Exporting to a CSV file
- Global hotkeys
- Sounds for alarms and ticking (optional)
- Syncs between iPad, iPhone and Mac
Pricing – $4.99
TSheets is a time tracking software for Mac for organizations that value flexibility. It’s suitable for small and large team, for those who often travel as well as for remote workers. With TSheets every manager can monitor employees’ activity and location.
- GPS location tracking – real-time insight into who’s working on what and where
- Convenient time tracking with the mobile app
- Real-time interactive reports
- You can automate overtime rules, customize pay rates, and preset complex overtime calculations for easy, accurate payroll. Overtime alerts keep you and your employees aware of weekly overtime limits
- Employees can clock in and out in real time and enter their time manually,
- Advanced time tracking features enable your employee to customize time entry for fields, projects, and tasks
- Free for one user
- $5 per month for 2-99 Users per user + $20 base fee per month
- $5 per month for 100+ Users + $100 base fee per month
Hubstaff is one of the most popular time tracking software for Mac, and not only. It has all the necessay features a good time tracking app should have. Small, large teams, corporations, individuals, everyone will find it helpful.
Location monitoring – tracking through GPS, web-based reports
- Online timesheets
- Team dashboard
- Scheduling with employee attendance tracker and staff scheduler
- Setting up pay rates once for each member of team or project, so payments are automatically sent based on hours worked during that pay period
- Numerous integrations
Free – 1 User
Basic – 1 User – $5/ month
Premium – 1 User – $10/ month
11. Time Doctor
Fully customizable, Time Doctor is the best employee monitoring software for demanding users who need detailed insight into employees’ activity. It monitors the usage of apps and websites so managers can see how their teams are spending time during work.
At the same time, employees can use the app to boost productivity and better allocate their time. Time Doctor is a first-class software for proper resource allocation and overall project management.
- Time tracking with distinction to tasks, projects, people
- Time Doctor will monitor employee internet usage during their work time. When it is detected that excessive amounts of time are being spent on YouTube, Facebook, or browsing other personal websites, Time Doctor will give those users a nudge to check if they are still working
- Website and application monitoring
- Ability to give clients access to Time Doctor
- Payroll management
- GPS tracking
- Range of configurable options available
- Integrations with the most popular apps
$9.99/month per user with free 14-day trial
If you need more than just time tracking, TimeCamp offers integration with HeySpace, task management software with extensive chat features. The tool can be used by everyone, no matter the industry and business model. And now when you can integrate TimeCamp with HeySpace, you can take your work to the next level!